Re: mounting usb hard disk

Lorenzo Bettini wrote:
Hi

I have an external usb hard disk which also contains an ext3 partition (besides the standard fat one).

When I switch it on, kde detects it and offers to open the contents in a new window (for both partitions); however, while the fat partition is mounted on a directory (under /media) whose owner is myself, for the ext3 partition the owner of the directory is always root and I can write into that partition...

I've also tried to insert this line in /etc/fstab

/dev/sda2 /media/onetouch2 ext3 user,noatime,noauto,rw,nodev,noexec,suid 0 0

but nothing changes...

where am I doing wrong?

thanks in advance
    Lorenzo

After the ext3 partition is mounted, try changing the ownership of the files and directories to yourself (as root, of course)

# chown <username> -R /media/onetouch2