Re: boot process hangs on init of mysqld

----- Original Message ----
From: "debian-guy@agileitinc.com" <debian-guy@agileitinc.com>
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Sent: Thursday, October 25, 2007 8:17:58 AM
Subject: boot process hangs on init of mysqld

When my boot process starts mysqld, it hangs.  How can I get it
unstuck?  I cannot ssh into the machine because the boot process
hasn't progressed far enough.  So, I cannot edit the init scripts to
remove mysqld.

Is there some key-stroke sequence I might be able to try to interrupt
the init.d scripts?  I've tried the obvious (ctl-C, ctl-D, etc.)

You'll want to boot into "single user" mode.  Try these steps:

1. Boot the machine --- be ready at the console keyboard to press "e" as in step 2 below.

2. At the GNU GRUB screen, press "e" within 1 - 2 seconds to stop the boot process, to edit the kernel's boot parameters.

3. Press the down arrow key to highlight the line that looks similar to the following:

        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2-6.18-4-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro

4. With the highlight on that line, press "e" once again.

5. Screen changes to one where the line can be edited (See "Minmal BASH-like line editing is supported", and a prompt "grub edit >".)

6. The cursor is at the end of the line, type "single" (the line now reads thus:)

        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2-6.18-4-686 root=/dev/hda1 ro single

7. Press the Return key.

8. The GNU GRUB screen reappears, press "b" to boot the system.

9. See a few screens of kernel messages, then a prompt "(or type Control-D to continue:)"

10. Type the root password (if you type Control-D, the boot process continues as if you weren't booting into single user mode.)

11. See a # shell prompt.  Make changes to the init scripts - you may want to do this with the update-rc.d utility, for help, type

        man update-rc.d

12. When done with changes to the init script links, type "exit" at the # prompt, and the machine continues the boot process as usual.

======Keith