network manager in fluxbox

Hi,

I usually use iwconfig for my wireless, but I've the school network is
a little beyond my understanding. I've been advised to switch to
network-manager, as it apparently will automatically handle the
networking details. So I used aptitude to install network-manager and
network-manager-gnome, for use on my Lenny laptop running fluxbox. I
added nm-applet & to my .xsession.

I now have a blank square on my toolbar (i.e., no icon). Right
clicking on this icon give me the grayed-out message "NetworkManager
is not running", although if I run ps -e I can see both NetworkManager
and NetworkManagerD are running processes. Left clicking the toolbar
box brings up the nm-applet menu.

What else do I need to do to get NetworkManager running properly on
fluxbox? I googled around a bit, but found only problems that didn't
appear to be related to mine. Granted, I don't understand much about
networking.

Thanks!

Tyler