Re: [overworked] How to get the local a Remote-X-Display?

You may need ssh -Y to enable applications to run in xterms.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca>
To: <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 8:35 AM
Subject: Re: [overworked] How to get the local a Remote-X-Display?

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 04:33:03PM +0200, Michelle Konzack wrote:
I have a Workstation and a broken (display) Laptop.  ssh(d) is working
and now I like to get the X-Display running on my workstation with the
server on my laptop.

    ssh -X michelle.konzack@laptop "startx -- :1"

is not the thing I need since it start the display (invisible, because
the display is broken) on my Laptop, - Aghhhh!

How can I get the Display on my workstation?

Run an X system on the workstation and then run the applications you
need with ssh, e.g, from an xterm (or just a button in icewm, whatever):
$ssh -Xf laptop konqueror

Then the konq window will pop up onto your workstation's Xwindow
display.

Doug.