Re: Update failure

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:27:15PM -0700, David Fox wrote:
> On 10/20/07, Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> >
> > OK, so one stock that works, one custom that works, room for a new
> > custom to test, and room for a new stock to test.  That's room for four
> > kernels, their initrds, and their modules in lib.  So how big a / does
>
> Maybe in /boot. But if you have the same partition on / as on /boot,
> and many do, then don't forget what needs to go in /lib, particularly
> /lib/modules, where the kernel modules go. I have three choices for
> kernels on my lenny system, and I've kicked out two kernels and their
> associated modules simply because I didn't have enough space on /.
>
> I did a du -c on /lib - 170 megs, roughly. So 268 megs would be a
> tight fit for a root partition, imho, even if it had a separate /usr.
>
> Don't forget /sbin and /etc, usually those are part of the root fs and
> not separated out.
>
> /sbin is pretty small - a tad less than 4 megs here on lenny, and
> /etc; is about 15 megs.

My /etc is 4.1 M.  I have separate /boot, /home, /usr, /var, and /srv.

With one kernel only, my / uses 112 M and /boot is 20 M (with a .bak
initrd.img for some reason).  /lib/modules is 66 M.  So figure that each
kernel takes (66+20) 90 MB, plus the base /, if you want room for four
kernels plus room to update one of them, you need:

112 + (5*70) = 462 for / , plus 5 x 20 = 100 MB for /boot, for a total
combined of 562 MB.

So, on an older computer where the kernels should be kept under 504 MB,
you'll need to keep /boot separate.

Doug.