Re: system load spike

On Sun, Oct 21, 2007 at 08:40:46PM -0700, Kent Tong wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using a shell script to perform backup. Whenever it is launched, the
> system load average
> reaches 3-5 regularly. I am already launching it script using "nice -n 19".
> The script is using
> find, cpio and gzip. They should automatically inherit the nice value of 19.
> I am already using
> "gzip -1" so that it uses the least CPU. It is possible that the bottleneck
> is I/O, not CPU.
>
> Is there any way to reduce the system load?

Why is a lower load important to you?

Depending on the script you could introduce a "sleep 1" between each
compression step, which gives the system I/O a chance to catch up.
Obviously you could also vary the "1" as needed.
--
Carl Fink                                   nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at nitpickingblog.blogspot.com.  Reviews!  Observations!
Stupid mistakes you can correct!