Re: Debian Installation upon an Alpha Server 4000 5/400

On Fri, Oct 19, 2007 at 11:44:16PM -0400, Robert Garron wrote:
> To Whom It May Concern at Debian:
>
> First -- Love the release 4.0r1 -- best yet!  Used Debian on 32 bit before.
>
> Next, not sure who to report this to and/or ask the question, as I am
> relatively new to using the Debian site (used Redhat and SuSe in past),
> anyway hopefully I have the right people I am e-mailing to in Debian --->
>
> The issue is booting Debian Disk1 KDE on an Alpha Server 4000 5/400 system
> -- after many iterations and contortions with different Ultra Wide
> Differential SCSI controllers -- I was able to utilize an Adaptec
> AHA-2944UW controller card to have Debian locate a disk and complete a full
> installation 99% successfully.
>
> The last 1% is the booting of the formated, file system created, installed
> Debian system which does NOT boot with the AHA-2944UW controller because
> the driver for this card is in the distribution and thus found a disk
> during the cdrom boot process, but the Alpha BIOS does NOT know about this
> card so any "auto" boot sequence is out of the question... So reporting to
> Debian my experience(s) is that:

Hi Robert,
welcome to Debian!
two place to look:
http://lists.debian.org mentions:
debian-alpha mailing list (for alpha issues)
debian-boot mailing list (for boot issues)
also if you go to http://wiki.debian.org, search for alpha, there are 2
good hits there.

Many folks have wanted a kernel module->supported hardware matrix for
umteen years, but it supposedly is a herculean task.
-K
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|