Re: xorg.conf variance

On 10/16/2007 03:37 AM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
In my xorg.conf file, the Section "files" is empty. According to http://wiki.X.org/ under error faqs and under can't install default font "fixed" in no case should this happen including debian. There's supposed to be FontPath lines in that section.

No necessarily. Xorg in Lenny has the FontPaths embedded into the server.

I suppose that happens when xfs is no longer used but can't be sure. I wish whoever does software testing on these packages would install xorg onto a desktop machine that never had it before and go through the steps to set xwindows up and see if they can get it to run. Some of what me and Florian Kulzer found out then might be a little farther up on the bug fix radar. Florian Kulzer was able to duplicate my problem with installing the SecurityPolicy file in /etc/X11/xserver too. the option to force overwrites when doing a reinstall of software isn't honored by xserver-xorg-core or xfonts-base. Florian confirmed xserver-xorg-core for me but I found out about xfonts-base last night myself. In fact what I suspect happened with xserver-xorg-core was that the SecurityPolicy file failed to install on initial installation for whatever reason. I have contacts I can ask to do some research to see if they can replicate my results on another list and will request their assistance later. What's needed are for users who have never installed any part of the xorg environment on their debian boxes to use tasksel and install the desktop environment and then try to get it working.

For what Debian distribution?

The speakup mailing list has a few debian users who would qualify for this kind of research but likely debian-user does not. I want to see if others who try this run into the same difficulties I have to date and if so, then pre-release software testing could use some improvements somewhere along the line. I've been told by a professional sysadmin that X is very temperamental and he had lots of problems with it over on sgi machines too so I'm not entirely surprised these kind of failures happen over here. However, having to write this kind of email if it fails to produce improvements is what will preserve Microsoft's Windows market share for many generations to come since xwindows will be in no position to endanger that market share.

Microsoft's market share is secure for at least a generation regardless of what happens with Xorg.

Earlier this year, I installed Etch on two different machines, and I didn't run into the problems you describe. Are you talking about Lenny? As you probably know, Lenny is still in testing--a kind of two-year-long beta process; if the bugs you described are Lenny bugs, partly due to your and Florian's efforts, the bugs will have been discovered and fixed before Lenny is relabeled "stable."

Since I don't have a strong affinity for beta software, I use stable.