Re: Regarding tar and split

Douglas A. Tutty <dtutty <at> porchlight.ca> writes:

> Tar archive isn't designed for this, since its designed for sequential
> devices.  Have you considered using another archive format?  Perhaps
> iso?  You can split and join iso files, mount them with loop mount,
> compress, burn, whatever.
>
> Doug.

If I ignored the indexing issue (since most of my work with tar is large,
non-incremental backups where I typically restore the entire contents -
it would be nice if there was indexing, but is not a huge problem),
should I still use something other than tar? Right now, I use it to backup
large files over multiple media, and tar's multipart feature allows me
to do this without having to duplicate all of the files on my hard disk
(though I have enough room to do this if I needed to). But if I were to
use split instead of tar -M, and I don't need the archives indexed, should
I still switch to another archive format (cpio, ar, iso)?

Also, if I give tar the --posix flag with -M, doesn't that make it so the
archive does not use the gnu extensions and follows the standard format?

Thanks everyone for all of your help,
Sean