Re: aptitude configuration question

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 08:35:22AM -0500, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> was heard to say:
> What can I put into the .aptituderc file to adjust aptitude so the
> recommended downloads and suggested downloads get downloaded with an
> aptitude dist-upgrade?

  Because of the design of apt, it's only possible [0] to install Recommends
and Suggests when a package is initially installed.  The closest you
could get would be blindly install every recommendation, in which case
the program will try to re-install recommendations that you've removed
on upgrade.

  Also, you almost certainly don't want to auto-install Suggests;
all sorts of junk will end up on your system if you do.

  Daniel

  [0] for values of "possible" that don't involve abusing the library
      interface or reimplementing it.