Re: automatically loading iptables

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 08:21:30AM -0400, Peter Smerdon wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> What is the preferred method of starting an iptables script at boot time
> on Debian hosts? I have come across two common ways, one with a pre-up
> command that calls the script from /etc/network/interfaces and the other
> From dumping the script in one of the /etc/rc*/ directories.
>
> I am wondering what the `debian way' to do this is.

I prefer a manual interface entry in the interfaces file. Then you can
ifup and ifdown it independently of your 'real' interfaces and you can
still make it automatically up at startup. See 'man interfaces' and the
manual method for more info.

--
    "To the extent that we overreact, we proffer the terrorists the
    greatest tribute."