Re: How to detect whether your machine is compromised?

On Oct 5, 8:10 pm, Raj Kiran Grandhi <grajki...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks to everyone for contributing several tips. I am looking forward
> to a highly educating weekend :) Here is a summary of packages that were
> suggested in the various replies:
>
> aide:       Advanced Intrusion Detection Environment - static binary
> bastille:   Security hardening tool
> chkrootkit: Checks for signs of rootkits on the local system
> denyhosts:  an utility to help sys admins thwart ssh hackers
> fail2ban:   bans IPs that cause multiple authentication errors
> harden:     Makes your system hardened
> iftop:      displays bandwidth usage information on an network interface
> iptraf:     Interactive Colorful IP LAN Monitor
> logcheck:   mails anomalies in the system logfiles to the administrator
> ntop:       display network usage in top-like format
> rkhunter:   rootkit, backdoor, sniffer and exploit scanner
> tiger:      Report system security vulnerabilities
> tripwire:   file and directory integrity checker
>
> Thanks
> Raj Kiran
>
> --

This is one of the best threads I ever read.   I took a basic course
in linux security and I stiil feel that I've only scratched the
surface.  I would say the most important thing is to   learn your
system inside  out. You don't know where you're vulnerable  until you
know what server opens what port.

I'm not  a  linux guru but I felt more vulnerable on  my windows
box.    It's behavior varied emensly and I always wndered what was
going on.  Most viruses, to the best of my knowledge, are writter for
Windows. My wife hates linux because of all our  security pop-up but
these are a good thing annd remind us to stay alert.  I would also add
that there's nothing like a good password annd unusual username -- the
first wall of defense.
That's my  2 sennses.
Chris