Re: iscan frustration Compounded!

On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 14:40:54 +0100, Chris Davies wrote:

> Felix Karpfen <felixk@webone.com.au> wrote:
>> The problem is similar because Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.18) is looking
>> for the firmware file in the wrong directory. [...]
>
> Why should the kernel be looking for a firmware file to send to the
> scanner? Are you /sure/ this is a kernel issue?

I do not believe that it is a kernel issue; I just mentioned the kernel to
indicate that I have a standard "Etch" install - no upgrades!.

I suspect it is due to some of the major rationalisations there were
introduced in Etch and have not yet been taken onboard by EPSON/EPKOWA in
its supplied plugins.

> Can you post the exact set of messages relating to this, please?

The error message - when iscan cannot find the scanner - reads:
 /usr/share/iscan/esfw54.bin/esfw54.bin : Not a directory

This error message is valid.

"esfw54.bin" is not a directory but a file and it is located in
"/usr/share/iscan/" (I have placed copies in a few other places - just in
case the alternatives locations can be found more easily by "iscan").

Felix

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)