FLOSS support for signed PDFs

Hi,

A financial institution refused to enable electronic delivery unless it
detected Acrobat Reader installed on my system.  When I challenged it
on this, mentioning that I use non-proprietary apps for PDF reading,
the response was as follows:

> Due to the security placed on certain items, such as our online
> statements, the Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to sign up for the
> paperless services. [Our] statements are created using Adobe
> Acrobat software and a digital signature is added for security purposes.
> As the Adobe Acrobat Reader is currently the only PDF reader that fully
> supports digitally signed PDF files, this software is required to ensure
> that the document is genuine.
>
> We regret any inconvenience caused because the Adobe Acrobat Reader is
> required, and we appreciate that you contacted us for additional
> information. We do take customer feedback seriously, and your comments
> have been passed on to the proper parties for review when determining
> how we can best update our services in the future.

Is there really no FLOSS app that can handle PDF signatures?  I suppose
the institution could use PGP or some other better supported
technology, but as long as they choose to use Acrobat's solution, do I
really have no choice?

Celejar