Re: unable to install mysql (lamp) (post-installation script returned error exit status 1)

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 05:28:54PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 02:47:23PM +0200, Jabka Atu wrote:
> >> package: mysql-server
> >>
> >> version: 5.0.45-1
> >>

> > ...copious apt output...
> >
> >> Setting up mysql-server-5.0 (5.0.45-1) ... Stopping MySQL
> >> database server: mysqld. Starting MySQL database server: mysqld .
> >> . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed! invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql,
> >> action "start" failed. dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.0
> >> (--configure): subprocess post-installation script returned error
> >> exit status 1
> >

> > the problem is self-explanatory. The service failed to start which
> > propogated an error. You should investigate why it failed to start.
> > Perhaps look at some log files. perhaps try it manually, etc etc.
> >
> ok i tried running it manualy :
> acerium:/# /etc/init.d/mysql start
> Starting MySQL database server: mysqld . . . . . . . . . . . . . . failed!

why does it fail to start? have you looked at any of the relevant
logs? Frankly I don't have much experience with mysql, but the reason
you are getting apt errors is because it fails to start. I suppose the
information apt is giving you is a little mis-leading because it has
appaerntly completed all its installation tasks except for restarting
the server. The fact that the server failed to restart is generating
the error in apt. So, you need to figure out why its not starting.

No permutation of apt/dpkg stuff will solve this problem except
perhaps removing and reinstalling it.

If I had this problem, I would stop messing with apt/dpkg and start
figuring out why its not starting. Read the logs. start it from a
command line directly instead of the init-script. figure out how to
turn up the verbosity. etc etc etc. Once you get it to start, then you
can re-run the apt commands and it will clear out just fine.

> acerium:/# apt-cache policy mysql-server
> mysql-server:
>   Installed: 5.0.45-1
>   Candidate: 5.0.45-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 5.0.45-1 0
>         500 http://mirror.isoc.org.il testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> acerium:/# apt-cache policy mysql-server-5.0
> mysql-server-5.0:
>   Installed: 5.0.45-1
>   Candidate: 5.0.45-1
>   Version table:
>  *** 5.0.45-1 0
>         500 http://mirror.isoc.org.il testing/main Packages
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

you are running testing. It is entirely possible that there is a bug
that is preventing mysqld from starting. It might be worth your while
to search BTS and see if anything applies.

But, to restate. Apt is failing because the service won't restart. If
you can make the service start, then apt will no longer fail.