Re: accessibility install question

On Sat, Sep 29, 2007 at 03:14:02AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> On debian when a system gets a text environment installed on it first then
> gets gnome-orca installed on it, gnome and gnome-orca get installed but X
> does not get installed.  If X is required to run gnome; gtk, and kde and
> isn't found already installed on a system when a gnome-orca install gets
> done why aren't X and X associated packages also made dependencies and
> installed?  It can be more difficult for users with accessibility
> requirements to install the g.u.i. part of debian correctly especially
> without sighted assistance when trying the installation and then have the
> G.U.I. environment come up accessibly when finished.  I suppose one could
> use gdm to start gnome and not use startx but you'd still have the issue
> for setting the correct display and blind users tend to run debian without
> monitors or mice connected unless they can get sighted assistance on a
> maintenance issue.
Hi Jude,
if I recall correctly, there is no x windows dependency because of the
split between x server and x client. What this means is that you can use
an x client on your server with an x server on another machine, thus you
do not need an x server installed on your machine. Now the issue I guess
is to communicate this to blind users and where to document it. Maybe
this is for a debian accessiblity list or the debian-devel list?
hope this explains,
Kev
|_______  Unless I ask to be CCd, assume I am subscribed _______|