Re: Missing files in locatedb

On Thu, Sep 27, 2007 at 08:23:14PM +0200, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> Victor Munoz wrote:
> > Hello. Today I found a very strange problem. Some files seem to be
> > missing from locatedb database.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I don't understand. Does any?
>
> Try running 'updatedb' as root manually and check if this helps.

It worked. All missing files are there now.

At first, this was a mystery, but now I understand why. updatedb is
not run as root, but as 'nobody', as set in /etc/updatedb.conf, so
the sequence

$ . /etc/updatedb.conf; updatedb

yields a lot of "Permission denied" messages, unlike "$ updatedb".

And I was wrong when I replied to another post in this thread, saying
that all directories had permissions drwxr-xr-x. ~/textos/fisica had
drwxr-xr--, and that was it.

So it's all working now, and much better, I understand :-) Thanks for
the help.

Victor