Re: vmware vs. qemu for XP guest + samba

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
I had to reload new firmware to a Packard Bell AudioKey FM player because I
had stupidly reformatted the vfat fs on it.
Problem: qemu' s USB service stinks, but it' s samba use is very good. Could
not use it with the AudioKey inserted: system would hang. But it' s use of
samba works out of the box.

So: downloaded the free VMware server and installed that.
Its USB service is excellent (but not for USB streaming devices) so I solved
the firmware problem. (But it only works if you insert the key while the
firmware is looking for it)

But then I noticed that samba did not work on vmware XP but did on qemu XP.

I'm not familiar with qemu. What do you mean by "it's use of samba works out of the box"? Does qemu have it's own samba server built in or something?

I have samba set up on my debian box, vmware server on the same box, and all the VMs can see the samba shares fine. I use either 'n private subnet with NAT or bridged ethernet, depending on what I'm testing.

If you're using bridged, then yes, you would have to adapt your firewall, because the VM would connect to your external network interface as if it is coming from outside. If your firewall explicitly deals with your primary interface, you'll get away with not having to do anything to it if you used a private subnet.