Problems capturing audio with Intel ICH5...

Hi!

Recently I had to change the motherboard, and now I have the P4i65G by
ASRock. The south bridge is the famous ICH5, which, amoing other things,
incorporates a sound card. "lspci -v" gives the following line about it:

00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER
(ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)

The problem is this: I can play normally anything perfectly fine (at
least, the sound seems good), but if try to record something from
Line-in, when I play it back the sound is ugly. It resembles the tipical
robot-like speaking, and it's very loud too.

I try to lower and even to mute every input control with gnome-mixer,
but the results are the same.

Alsa seems correctly configured (at least, sudo alsaconf gives no error).

What could be the cause of this strange behaviour?

Best regards.

--
Andrea