Re: Debian install to Inspiron 530 with SATA DVD drive

Quoting Simon <greminn@gmail.com>:

Hi There,

We are trying to install debian etch onto our Inspiron 530 that has a
SATA DVD drive, but the installer cannot detect the CD drive once it
is booted. How do i move forward here?

Sounds like etch doesn't have the drivers for your sata controller.
er... or should I say the kernel doesn't have the drivers.
The default kernel for etch is 2.6.18, try using a lenny(testing) or sid(unstable) installer with a more recent kernel. 2.6.22 or higher kernel will probably find your sata controller.

http://www.us.debian.org/releases/

http://www.us.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#unstable-images