Re: Problem with apt-get update command: failed to fetch packages 404 not found

On 09/25/2007 12:49 PM, Steve Lam wrote:
I have a problem with 'apt-get update' command and it
bugs me for weeks.  I've tried to update Debian with
the command 'apt-get update' and it failed to fetch
packages. I've fixed the etc/apt/sources.list file but
It doesn't help me at all.  I've tried apt-setup and
it failed as well with the same message such as
'Failed to fetch'.  Any help is appreciated.

Here is the error produced by apt-get update:
sistership:/etc/apt# apt-get update
Err http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main
Packages 404 Not Found
Err http://debian.yorku.ca sarge/main Packages 404 Not
Found
Ign http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/main
Release
Ign http://debian.yorku.ca sarge/main Release
Err http://security.debian.org sarge/updates/contrib
Packages 404 Not Found
Err http://debian.yorku.ca sarge/contrib Packages 404
[...]

Your sources.list, as posted, isn't formatted well.

How do you connect to the Internet? Dialup, DSL, cable?

Do you have a proxy or router in between you and the Internet?

Tell us what this command does?

wget http://debian.yorku.ca/debian/dists/sarge/Release

Read this too: