Re: Please comment on a debian-offtopic list

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 02:56:23PM -0700, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> > ... looking at the "Etch + USB Modem -- Supported?" thread I'm guessing
> > you guys (at least you and Ron) are also missing those.
>
> yeah, sorry I spelled your name wrong there. But since Celejar has
> logged my claim to be done with that thread, I can't properly issue a
> correction.

Don't worry about it, I'm used to it :) (though I usually get the Polish
spelling (Andrej) not the German one)

> I'm still up in the air about d-ot (heh. that's a good one, d.o.t.) as

? I don't get this one (Department of Technology?)

> I don't think its actually practical to implement. For example, how
> would one go about moving that USB^h^h^hVituperations thread over to
> d.o.t. and then moving it back when it veers back on-topic.

Just get a list ethicist to do the police work :) "Hey guys, this is
off-topic on this off-topic list, take it to d-u/d-d/..."

> its a difficult social problem for which there are few if any
> technological solutions...

Joke aside, I understand your concern, but I don't see a better solution
to have offtopic threads without disturbing d-u. And if the posters are
careful enough to move it to offtopic, they can also move it back to d-u
if they feel what they are writing belongs there (too).

It may seem that I am pushing this too hard, but it's annoying not to
get a clear stance on this, especially when Holger Levsen from the
debian-community project seems to agree on hosting such a list if the
project won't (there's also googlegroups as a last resort).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)