Re: Penalty of SELinux?

On Sep 23, 2007, at 8:27 AM, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 09/23/07 10:13, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
[snip]

My biggest problem is that there is not OS designed to be great for a
stand-alone old small computer.  An OS that can both fit on small
resources, and be kept up-to-date without a separate build machine.

Linux's target is the modern desktop and the focus is on keeping up with
new hardware.  The BSDs keep the drivers for old hardware but patches
require building and that building relies on gcc which isn't optimized
for use on old systems.

So I'll keep looking.

NetBSD.

Same basic problem, I think. To apply security patches you have to recompile. To recompile, you have to use GCC, which is a resource hog. You'd get old and die waiting for "make world" to finish on a machine with 64 megs of RAM.

One solution, if there are faster machines on the LAN, might be to use distcc. But then you're not "really" stand-alone.