Re: wireless keyboard encryption

On Sep 21, 2007, at 11:33 PM, Juha Tuuna wrote:
One should consider the question 'how much worth is my typing?'
If it's "just" your average irc/email among friends/etc, fine.
If it's about "serious business", one might want to consider the (monetary) value to other parties. It is possible to spy an old crt from a very far
distance (a few hundred meters, that's what I've been told to, haven't
seen/used any spy gizmos myself. "Newer" monitors not included, afaik). I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some wireless keyboards could be
easily spied on, too. Paranoid?

I was on another mailing list where a guy accidentally emailed his root password to the list. Seems he was using the same brand of wireless keyboard on his upstairs machine as on his downstairs machine, and he'd left a mail program window open on one while he went to the other to do some maintenance.