New install from businesscard distro.

I successfully installed Debian from the latest business card iso. I
chose the networkless option, the only one that works. That is the
good news.  But here is the bad news.

1. When chose the newtworked install option it always died with the
message, "trying to write to a read-only file." The file is  allegedly
on a read-only file system, probably my boot partition. The file name
is something like /lib/modules/*generic-r5/modules.dep.temp (can't
read my own writing!)

2. I do an apt-update followed by an apt-upgrade. The two packages to
be upgraded are the kernel and the initrd file. I get a message that I
am trying to reinstall the same version of the kernel. It also says I
need to reboot after the upgrade finishes. But it seems to never
finish. And I can't exit the (ncurses?) screen that tells me to wait.
There is an <ok> tag at the the bottom but I can't get to it. When I
check via top or ps x on another console the programs that deal with
updating seem to be stalled permanently.

3.  I have two other systems on my machine, both Slack 12.  The
autoconfigure part of grub identified /dev/hdb3 correctly but /devhda2
was represented four times in menu.lst with various kernels
specified.  I solved the problem by reinstalling lilo from Slack but I
thought the grub misfire deserved some attention.

4. On startup my eth0 card which is connected to the internet isn't
activated by dhcpcd.  I can click on the little icon in the upper
right corner of the Gnome screen and select the eth0 card from the
menu shown and then internet connection is established.  But I
shouldn't have to do this. What happens when I switch to KDE? There is
a startup  error message related to eth0 about IPV6 software not
installed but I can't install IPV6 software until I get problem 2
solved.  Maybe I can kill the IPV6 requirement but I don't know where.

Any assistance on problems 2 and 4 in particular would be appreciated.

John Culleton