Re: Printer Driver Brother on new Lenny installation

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 19:26:13 +1000, Robert Parker wrote:
> I need a driver for a Brother Laser printer model HL-2040. The system
> is an AMD 64 bit box and the debs provided by Brother are for i386 and
> will not install on this 64 bit system. They have released the source
> code for the driver under the GPL and I have downloaded it. For this
> printer there is a shell script and also a C program to generate a
> CUPS wrapper.
>
> When I run the shell script it exits with the folowing error:
>
> -- Message from syslogd@localhost at Fri Sep 21 19:15:58 2007 ...
> localhost cupsd: Unable to read configuration file
> '/etc/cups/cupsd.conf' - exiting!

Does the cupsd.conf file exist, is it readable? Do you have cupsys
installed at all?

> Please advise what I must do to compile and install this stuff.
>
> I have had this printer working on a Kubuntu 7.04 system using the
> driver for the HL-2060 (iirc) which was available on the installation
> cd. I have abandoned the Kubuntu system in favour of Debian Lenny for
> other reasons. So advice on getting and installing the Kubuntu driver
> would help also.

Debian has several PPD files for the HL-2060 included in the
"foomatic-filters-ppds" package:

$ dpkg -L foomatic-filters-ppds | grep Brother-HL-2060 | sed 's/.*\///'
Brother-HL-2060-Postscript.ppd.gz
Brother-HL-2060-hl1250.ppd.gz
Brother-HL-2060-lj4dith.ppd.gz
Brother-HL-2060-lj5gray.ppd.gz
Brother-HL-2060-ljet4.ppd.gz
Brother-HL-2060-pxlmono.ppd.gz

If you install thias package you should be able to select these drivers
when you add your printer using the CUPS web frontend (or the KDE
printer administration tool).

If none of these drivers works then you can look for the corresponding
files on the Kubuntu CD and try those (in case Kubuntu uses modified
versions). The "add printer" dialog allows you to specify PPD files
directly; it might be necessary to unzip the files with gunzip first.

Furthermore, a HL-2040 adapted PPD is available here:
http://www.profv.de/brother/

Note: I have no experience myself with any of these drivers, I just
looked up your printer here:
http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Brother-HL-2040

          Florian   |