Installing Tomcat into Debian 4.0

Hi,

Can someone help on getting Tomcat in Debian 4.0 ?
The Tomcat-5 I installed from Debian package repository
doen't work as it ran into Java OutOfMemoryError when
I tried to open the port 8180 - there's apparent JVM issue.

Rather than trying to solve this issue, I decided to install
Tomcat from the apache/tomcap homesite, with Java stuffs
from the Sun directly. But then installing Java SDK/JRE
requires RPM, which is not quite stable in Debian yet.
Without RPM, I need to figure out how to configure the Java
pieces - executables, header files and libraries - which I
have no idea.

Or, is there any pre-built & tested Debian Server package
available ?

Chan