Re: syslogs not rotated - cron.daily never run because computer never up at 6:25am?

On 16:56 Sun 16 Sep     , Malte Forkel wrote:
> The root partition of a machine running Debian Etch has filled up because
> log files like /var/log/syslog are not rotated and have become huge.
>
> As far as I understand, the script that rotates the system logs is
> /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd, which should be triggered by the entry
>
>  25 6    * * *   root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts
> --report /etc/cron.daily )

The key here is /usr/bin/anacron
Look in /etc/anacrontab

> in /etc/crontab. But I found only one reference to the scripts in cron.daily
> being executed over the last couple of months.

> Could it be that cron ignores its daily tasks if the machine is down at the
> time specified for cron.daily in /etc/crontab? I.e., if the machine is never
> up at 6:25am, the daily cron jobs are never executed? If that's the case,
> how do I schedule jobs that are truly executed every day, even if the
> machine only runs at irregular times?

anacrontab is especially for regular tasks on machines that are not up
24/7

HTH
John
--
War is God's way of teaching Americans geography
Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914)