Re: mail messages with only html

On Sat, Sep 15, 2007 at 07:59:13PM +0200, s. keeling wrote:

> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>:
> >
> >  On 09/13/07 17:36, Richard Lyons wrote:
> > > This is becoming more of a problem.  There is a growing number of firms
> > > that are incapable of sending out normal emails.  They insist on sending
> > > blank messages with an html attachment only.  Of course this is usually
> >
> >  Not a direct answer to your question, but if you are using mutt
> >  under X, then there are html viewers that can hook into mutt.
>
> Not just X.  w3m works just fine with mutt.
>
> (0) heretic /home/keeling_ grep w3m mutt/mailcap
> multipart/alternative ;  /usr/bin/w3m -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html
> multipart/related     ;  /usr/bin/w3m -dump %s; copiousoutput; nametemplate=%s.html
> text/html             ;  /usr/bin/w3m -T text/html -dump %s ; copiousoutput

Thanks.  I have now set up mutt and mailcap as you and Benjamin suggest
and the whole issue is greatly eased.  The reply function also now picks
up the w3m output as someone else indicated so it is pretty convenient.
I probably shall one day set up the filter to scrap the html part
completely and save only the email version (by which I mean plain text),
but it is no longer urgent.

Another example of my having given up without learning enoough first :-(

But thanks to everybody for the support.

--
richard