segmentation_fault

greetings to you all,

i am using etch, kernel 2.6.18-5-486. it worked fine till xine (compiled from their site) without any warning started crashing the xserver and mplayer (compiled from 'their' site too) refused to start up with the message 'segmentation fault'. i repeated this several times for both, xine and mplayer, with the same results. in my opinion i did nothing peculiar to have caused this myself.

i compiled </home/steef/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9755-pkg1.run> in to my kernel ages ago. all worked fine for months.

i guess i can live with this (got another machine with a etch and lenny distro) but i am very curious what can be the cause of this and what i can do to repair thids should it somehow happen agaian.

in advance thanks for your help

regards,

steef