Re: How to use GNUPG to sign and encrypt emails?

On Sat, 15 Sep 2007 06:33:26 +0000 (UTC)
Amit Uttamchandani <amit.uttam@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> I've thought a lot about security lately and one of the "items" on my
> list is signing and encrypting my mail using gnupg. Now how is this
> done? I am currently using the sylpheed 2.4.5 client compiled with
> gnupg support. If I choose to sign and encrypt messages, I am not
> able to send them.
>
> Do I need to create a key first? And on a side note, what are the
> benefits of signing the mail with gnupg.

Yes, actually two keys. A public one and a private one. The public one
are used by people who want to send you an encrypted message, and the
private one are used by you to decrypt the message.

You have to study a bit about GnuPG and encrypting e-mail. Make sure
you understand the process.

Here is a list of good reads:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_privacy
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard

And here is a very good tutorial on how to create keys and stuff. It's
from Gentoo, but it's the same on Debian:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gnupg-user.xml