Strange networking problems

Hi everyone,

I am having some very strange, likely Debian-related networking
problems. I was trying to set up some bandwidth tests between a few
nearly identical machines. I label them s0, s1, s2. All are Debian
boxes. When I transfer  a large file from one box to another, the
transfer starts out at around 50 megabytes per second, but quickly
drops to below 10. I was battling with this issue for quite some
time and decided to do an experiment.

I had to Gentoo livecds lying around, so I booted s1 and s2 into Gentoo.
Doing transfers between s1 and s2 were perfect; they remained over 50 throughout the entire transfer. Transferring to s0 from s1 or s2 however, the speed would start at around 50 and drop to below 10 for the remainder of the transfer. Transferring from s0 to either s1 or s2, the transfer was perfect.

So in sum: Debian boxes can't sustain download speeds, but can sustain upload speeds.

I am far from a Debian expert, so I don't know where to start looking to
understand what the problem is. I don't know what info is needed.

I have Intel e1000 and Nvidia nforce NIC in each machine. I've tried all combinations of Intel to Nvidia NICs. I am running kernel-2.6.20.18.

Best regards,
Andrey Falko