Custom debian packages

Dear fellow Debian users.

I've recently been looking to making my own custom Debian packages from
source, as some of the software found in Etch is a bit outdated for some
of my needs. Since I've found no back ported packages that suits my
needs, I thought about making my own custom packages.

I've been able to so far to make both binary packages and library
packages, using dh_make and debuild. I've started to understand the
process of editing the debian/rules and debian/control files, but I'm at
a loss when it comes to the more technical aspects of packaging custom
packages.

What I mean by this, is I've still not yet understood how I actually add
for instance custom configuration files, documentation and most
importantly when building custom library packages, how do I go about
separating the actual library files and development files. I've tried to
the best of my abilities to found a decent howto, but have so far not
yielded and good results.

What is important when packaging library files, what do I need to make
sure of both when installing, and also uninstalling. Any pointers would
be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, have a continued good day and weekend! :)

--
Yours sincerely Jostein Elvaker Haande
"A free society is a place where it is safe to be unpopular"

Web: http://tolecnal.net - Mail: tolecnal <a> tolecnal <dot> net