Re: disabling and enabling services

On Fri, Sep 14, 2007 at 09:15:54AM -0700, PETER EASTHOPE wrote:
> Folk,
>
> Some services listed in /etc/services, might never be intended
> to operate on a specific machine.  bootps and finger are likely
> examples.
>
> In interest of security, is there any benefit in commenting out
> unused services?

tong is right that there is definitely benefit in not running services
you don't need. However, to my knowledge, /etc/services is just a
listing of services and does not control what services are actually
operated. That is controlled by what processes are running and whether
they provide a service or not. MOst of this is done through init
scripts (/etc/init.d and the appropriate run-level links) or through
inetd. The existence of a line in /etc/services does not affect
whether the service runs or not.

I see per `man 5 services` that network programs should look there to
get a mapping of which ports to use, but otherwise that file does not
effect whether a service is available.