Re: UTF-8 on Debian Etch

David Brodbeck <brodbd@u.washington.edu> writes:

> Trying to figure out how to view/edit UTF-8 files properly in Emacs
> on Debian Etch.  I've installed emacs-mule and a whole bundle of
> fonts, but I still get backslash-escaped characters in Emacs instead
> of UTF-8.  My locale is set to "en_US.UTF-8".  Clicking Options/MULE/
> Set language environment/UTF-8 doesn't seem to change anything.  I'm
> obviously missing some step here, but what?

My Emacs is utf8-aware on Debian etch, using the following in my
~/.emacs:

(setq locale-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8)
(set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
(prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)

BTW, for Gnus, I use:

(setq
 message-default-charset (quote utf-8)
 mm-body-charset-encoding-alist '((utf-8 . 8bit)
				  (utf8 . 8bit))
 mm-coding-system-priorities '(mule-utf-8 iso-latin-1)
 gnus-default-posting-charset (quote utf8)
)

Hope this helps,
--
Nicolas