Re: Re exim4, postfix problems

"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> Still posting from iceape.
>
> I removed the server line; it was clearly a mistake.  I don't
> remember entering such a line.  I believe it was automatically
> generated or picked up from some previous configuration.

You mean the 'mydestination'. I think this is required to get local
mail working. Here is mine:

mydestination = myhostname.homenet, localhost.homenet, localhost

That means that any mail to user@myhostname.homenet or user@localhost
has to be delivered locally (as opposed to relaying it through the
smarthost).

> I am attaching the last 20 lines of  /var/log/mail/mail.log.   They
> show that if I use outgoing.verizon.net confirmation (the password
> for our DSL account?) is required and if I use the ISP server
> mail.tomgeorge.info the connection simply times out.

I don't know why mail.tomgeorge.info is timing out (you could try
telneting directly to it, wrong port, ...), but for authentication you
need the following:

* I think you need the package libsasl2-modules (in etch it's only a
recommends but in unstable it's a depends of postfix)

* in /etc/postfix/main.cf

smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_type = cyrus
smtp_sasl_security_options =

(Yes I know, the last option is left empty, but there was a bug, not
sure if it's fixed ... maybe I should try)

* then you need to create a file /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd with something
like:

[mail.server.com]	user:password

(the square brackets are not mandatory, but might prevent some problems)

* run 'postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd' and don't forget to
chmod it 600 as you have the password in clear text.

Restart postfix and try again.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)