Re: Starting MTA: why does it take so long?

On Thursday 06 September 2007 23:28, Jeff D wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Chris wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 September 2007 21:35, Celejar wrote:

> >> It shouldn't be uninstalled since many daemons and system management
> >> tasks report via email, and they expect to find an MTA to send the mail
> >> with.
> >>
> >> If your system isn't connected to the internet on boot, have you
> >>
> >> configured minimal-dns? From 'dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config':

> >> Celejar
> >> --
> >
> > Thanks, I tried that and it didn't help, but I'm not sure I know which of
> > the five types of setup choices really applies to me, and I'll have to
> > read up some more on that.
> >
> > I have to say that  I'm actually only interested in using Debian as a
> > desktop system, and sort of feel like it is making me install a mail
> > server.  I wouldn't care if choosing "no configuration at this time"
> > didn't cause problems, but in my case it seems to be timing out on boot.
> >
> > Thanks,

> Theres always the option of disabling it all together.
>
> update-rc.d -f exim4 remove
>
> But, as others have said, its good to have a MTA running for notifications
> like cron, logcheck and others to go out. I would possibley install
> exim4-daemon-light, set delivery to local only, check to make sure your
> hostname is in /etc/hosts and set hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf to: hosts:
> files dns

I have

ii  exim4                                4.67-8                       meta-package to ease Exim MTA (v4) installat
ii  exim4-base                           4.67-8                       support files for all Exim MTA (v4) packages
ii  exim4-config                         4.67-8                       configuration for the Exim MTA (v4)
ii  exim4-daemon-light                   4.67-8                       lightweight Exim MTA (v4) daemon

so I guess "light" got installed automatically at some point, because I didn't do it myself.

I'll try what you suggest.

Thanks,

Chris
--