Re: Install help on Zonbu

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 16:26, Mikael Rudberg wrote:
> Hi
>
> Im clutching at straws here, i just purchased an Zonbu (mini pc running Via
> C7/512 MB ram) and i'm trying to install Debian 4.0 on external USB drive.
> I've prepped an USB stick with the net install image. Boot's from it and
> installs debian fine from what i can see
> When i reboot i see that bios detects the USB-HD properly but instead of
> showing the kernel to boot it shows only the "Mininmal BASH like" version
> of grub and no selection box.
> I tried to reinstall this time manually making the partitions on the USB-HD
>
> sda1 /boot  (ext2) 100 MB bootable
> sda2 /        (ext3) 20 GB
> sda3 /swap
>
> Same issue again. tried it a couple of more times and once  i got "Error
> 18" in GRUB
> I'm at a loss as what can be wrong. I tried to search the net but can't
> find information that help me out here.
> So if anyone have any suggestions or any experience installing Debian on
> "Zonbu" i would be really greatful
>
> Thanks
>
> Mikael
grub needs to be installed {written to the mbr} on the disk from which your
machines bios is set to boot.

easy:
If you want it to boot from the usb stick then set your system bios to this
boot order
1 cd or floppy
2 usb stick
3 hard drive

then put grub on the usb stick: this will only change the order of choices
that your machines bios has to make to boot. You will not write instructions
to the mbr here, only the usb stick; Your machines bios will handle the rest.

More difficult:
if you want to leave your bios alone then you must install grub on the hard
drive that your system will boot from 'not the usb stick'; then edit the grub
to the boot order selection that you want.
Best wishes: BTW This is what I did on my machine: grub on the main boot drive
has a selection of 4 operating systems to boot to.
Best wishes!
--
John W. Foster