Re: xconsole 'can't open console' (etch) - why not?

Krzysztof Luban'ski wrote:
On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 18:44 +0100, Martin Waller wrote:
Am trying to run xconsole as normal user as I have done on other versions of debian.

When I try to run it on an etch box it pops up as expected but with the message 'Can't open console' in it.

Now, on my sarge box, which is due for an upgrade, it runs fine. I noticed on sarge /dev/console's group is tty but on etch it's root. So I changed the group of it to tty, but still no joy. [...]

  xconsole seems to be using /dev/xconsole - on my Lenny system, its
group is set to 'adm'.

Thanks - that was it. Just added myself to adm group.

Cheers,

Martin