Re: exim4 maybe too complex to remain useful

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 12:19:51PM +0000, Tyler Smith wrote:
> On 2007-09-10, Kumar Appaiah <akumar@iitm.ac.in> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 06:42:32AM +0000, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> >> If using exim4 and it's necessary to use a smarthoast where can that be
> >> configured?  I find sendmail less complex than exim4 and all other mail
> >> transport agents I've tried less complex than the pair of them.
> >
> > sudo dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config
> >
> > Adn this is waaaaaay less complex than anything else I've seen for
> > smarthost!
> >

> This is probably common knowledge, but I recently discovered the -u
> flag. This is handy, since I routinely use three different smarthosts.
> So when I plug my laptop into a different network, I switch the
> comments in my /etc/exim4/update.conf.conf file to point to the right
> smarthost:
>
>   dc_smarthost='smtp1.ns.sympatico.ca'
>   #dc_smarthost='smtp.smu.ca'
>   #dc_smarthost='mailhost.mcgill.ca'
>
> and then run
>
>   dpkg-reconfigure -u exim4-config

Postfix can have sender dependent smarthosts:

in /etc/postfix/main.cf I have

sender_dependent_relayhost_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_relay

and then in /etc/postfix/sender_relay

first_user@host.local	[mail.first_isp.com]
second_user@host.local	[mail.second_isp.com]

Regards,