Re: The current status of tetex -> texlive transition?

Wei Chen wrote:
> Russell L. Harris wrote:
>> * Wei Chen <wchenhk@gmail.com> [070909 01:14]:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running up-to-date Etch on my desktop. I would like to upgrade to
>>> Lenny recently.
>>>
>>> I wonder the current status of tetex -> texlive transition. Is there
>>> going to be any known problem during the upgrade? Do I need to purge
>>> some related packages in advance? Thank you.
>>>
>>> $ aptitude search ~i~ntetex
>>> i A tetex-base                   - Basic TeX input files of teTeX
>>> i A tetex-bin                    - The teTeX programs
>>> i A tetex-doc                    - The documentation component of the
>>> i   tetex-extra                  - Additional TeX input files of teTeX
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Wei Chen
>>> http://www.acplex.com/people/wchen/
>> I am no expert, but I do make extensive use of texlive daily.
>
>> This matter has been discussed on this list over the past several
>> months (see the list archives).  Some have had problems upgrading from
>> tetex to texlive; others have upgraded without difficulty.
>
>> The approach which I took -- which appears to provide the best
>> guarantee against problems -- is not to upgrade, but simply to
>> completely uninstall tetex (that is, not only uninstall, but also
>> purge the tetex configuration files), and then install texlive.
>
>> As to the tetex -> texlive transition, there appear to be a few
>> packages which run under tetex but not texlive.  I personally have not
>> encountered such packages.  However, the fact of the matter is that
>> tetex no longer is supported, so eventually packages which once worked
>> under tetex are going to quit working under tetex.
>
>> Otherwise, once texlive is installed, it appears to me to work exactly
>> as did tetex.  I have no complaints.
>

> Thank you for your response. I shall do accordingly, i.e. purge the
> tetex related packages and then upgrade, and report the result later.

The upgrade went all right except for a lot of warning messages from
perl complaining that locale cannot be set and some error messages about
not being able to connecting to a certain website, which I thought were
not related to the texlive transition.

- --