Re: modem works in sarge but not etch or lenny

On 09/09/2007 08:17 PM, Nathan Salwen wrote:
First, see if minicom can take the modem off-hook and on-hook:

ATH1
ATH

Thanks for responding.  I guess I may not have been clear.

In sarge (kernel 2.4) minicom can take the modem off the hook fine.  All the
AT commands receive  an OK in response.  I sarge, the modem works.

In etch (kernel 2.6) minicom can not take the modem off the hook.   It does
not receive any response to any AT commands.  In etch, the modem does not
work.

Nathan

Are you using the stock kernel for Lenny/Sid?

Please show us the output of dmesg for both the Sarge and Lenny installations.

The command "modprobe isapnp" might help.

Search for candidate device nodes by doing this:

ls -l /dev/ttyS*

If nothing shows up, that's a sign that the proper driver isn't loaded. It might be blacklisted in /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/ , or perhaps the module needs to be specifically loaded. The Sarge installation might have the modem driver listed in /etc/modules while the Lenny installation might not have that.

The fact that you can't find out what kernel module drives the modem under Sarge is a problem. "Lsmod" could be of help there. While trying to avoid crashing the system, you could start unloading modules until modem support disappears, but be careful with this because you don't want to unload critical modules such as ext2 or motherboard support modules.

I hope this helps.