modem works in sarge but not etch or lenny

If this is the wrong list, please tell me where to repost it.

I have a V1456VQH-X pnp ISA card that I only use for sending and receiving faxes.  It worked in Sarge but I have not been able to get it to work in my Lenny/Sid box.
I reinstalled sarge on a different partition and the modem still works so it is not a hardware issue.  I believe it is a kernel issue since it works with kernel2.4 and not with kernel 2.6.  Although it works in 2.4 (sarge) I have not been able to find any log messages or dmesg output to tell me exactly what the kernel is doing iwth it.  All I know is that minicom with /dev/ttyS1 returns OK when I type AT.

I also went to an old partition with etch i(2.6.2.6.18-3-k7 #1 SMP Mon Dec 4 17:23:11 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux) and it also doesn't seem to work.

dmsg returns the following:

> isapnp: Scanning for PnP cards...
> isapnp: Card '56K PnP DATA FAX VOICE Modem'
> isapnp: 1 Plug & Play card detected total

So it does seem like the kernel finds it.  When I go to  /sys/devices/pnp1/01:01/name I find "56K PnP DATA FAX VOICE Modem"
and the file /sys/devices/pnp1/01:01/01:01.00/resources has "state = disabled"

After "echo AUTO > resources"  the file resources contains:
state = disabled
io 0x2e8-0x2ef
irq 5

When I try running scanModem from linuxant it tells me that I need some proprietary driver from them but, as I said, the card worked in sarge.  I don't know whether there was a decision to stop supporting some devices or this is a bug or I am just not configuring things right.  (If it is a configuration issue that would also indicate a documentation bug.)  I would like to post a bug but am not sure to which package it would go. I guess to the linux-image2.6 package.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nathan Salwen