We need two different buttons for reporting spam.

On the archives at http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/ , there is a button titled "Report as Spam." My understanding is that it's connected to a Bayesian filter and that is arranges for the spam message to be removed from the archives.

I think this button's functionality should be split into two buttons because the list is being hit by spam that poison bayesian filters.

An example is http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2007/09/msg00748.html . That message contains a small amount of advertising test with a large amount for normal speech text. Anyone reporting that message as spam would end up poisoning the filters and thus causing normal messages to be flagged as spam.

Therefore, we need two buttons "Report as Spam (by Type)" and "Report as Spam (Individually)". The "Report as Spam (by Type)" would send the spam message to the bayesian filters and delete it from the archives, but the "Report as Spam (Individually)" would only arrange for the spam message to be deleted. This allows savvy users to eliminate spam without risking making debian-users an empty list :-)