Re: How to verify installed files?

On Friday, 7. September 2007 13:32, Erik Persson wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to verify the files installed from a
> package by apt-get, ie I have installed a package A and want to verify
> that the files installed from the package are correct at some later
> time. Thus some process could have changed some of the files after I
> installed them, so the checking that is done at install time is *not*
> what I'm looking for.
extract control from the deb-package (into working directory):
% dpkg-deb -e package.deb
You'll get a dir/file named 'DEBIAN/md5sums' which contains (you guessed
right!) the md5sums of the files in the package.
You can compare the md5sums agains your current files
% cd /
% md5sum -c /path/to/the/DEBIAN/md5sums

> A related question. If I want to check that a package (in the archive -
> /var/cache/apt/archives) is correct compared to the same package located
> on a repository. How do I do this in the simplest way. I assume that
> md5sum is correct.
>
> Thanks in advanced,
>
> Erik.
I don't know if this is the easiest but it works for me:
% md5sum package.deb
% apt-cache show package | grep -i md5sum
The apt-cache show will list many entries if you have multiple versions
available for installation (like stable/testing/unstable)

--
-=[JT]=-

Alimony and bribes will engage a large share of your wealth.

PGP Public key
http://users.utu.fi/jukatu/juha_tuuna_utu.asc