Re: KDSETKEYCODE: No Such Device. Cannot Set scancode xx to keycode xxx.

I just reinstalled the gnome tools I had uninstalled, and also check the console kbd package, the problem still exists: error message during startup, can not start X automatically.

If its about the keymap, which package should I have?
I checked in the installed package, there are console-data console-tools and the kbd I just installed.

Thanks for your help!

On 9/7/07, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 06, 2007 at 11:05:07 +0800, Michael Yang wrote:
> Hi guys:
>
> I installed debian 4.0R1 etch on my DELL pc and have been working on it for
> days.
>
> All of a sudden when I reboot the system (maybe has some thing with what I
> did on gnome package management),

It would help to know which packages you (un)installed right before the
problem started. Check out the /var/log/dpkg.log* files.

>                                   the system can not start X automatically,
> and there are many error messages during startup:
> " failed to set scancode 89 to keycode 161
> KDSETKEYCODE: No such device
> failed to set scancode 85 to keycode 224
> KDSETKEYCODE: No such device
> ................."
>
> after I login in, I can start X manually, and the GNOME desktop can be
> started working fine.
>
> Does anybody has idea of how to repair this? I don't know if there is
> something wrong potentially with the hardware or not.

To rule out hardware problems, test your system with Knoppix or another
suitable live CD.

My guess is that you accidentally uninstalled one of the packages that
handles the keyboard setup. What output do you get for:

dpkg -l \*console\* \*kbd\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'

--
Regards,            | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
          Florian   |