etch : system hangs

Hi,
   I am using following configuration as my hardware -:
PIII 700 MHz
128 MB SDRAM
no graphics card

It shows 5080 as free.
I am using debian 4.0 and it's my first time with debian based distro. I am facing a weird problem. My system either hangs or screen gets filled with vertical coloerd lines (like thin copper wires). Previously I thought It was related to gnome so i switched to xfce but the problem remains. This occures every now or then randomly.
I a not sure whether it's a hardware or software problem and how to catagorise this problem in either of them. Can anyone please help me out?

Thanx,
Mridul