Re: NMI received, likely on the PCI bus

On 02 Sep 2007, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> > "NMI received, likely on the PCI bus ..." together with stuff about a
> > hardware problem.
> > I'm using a Thinkpad Z61M with Sid, kernel 2.6.20.1-slh-smp-2.
>
> Thinkpads do NMIs and SMIs for system management.  It is likely something
> stupid, thay you should not worry much about.  Try disabling "pci bus power
> saving", see if that helps.  If it does, just reenable it and ignore the
> warning.

I tried this but the error message still appears. However, I now have
more information.

1. It does not seem to occur with Ubuntu, only with Sid (actually,
Sidux). And not every time either; about 1 in 3.

2. I ran the PC Doctor program downloaded from the Lenovo site. This
shows no errors except for the parallel port, but this machine has no
parallel port. I've therefore disabled the parallel support in the BIOS
but I don't know if that will make any difference.

3. I rang Lenovo support, who predictably said it was a Linux problem,
not a hardware problem.

As everything else is working correctly I think I shall have to ignore
it for the moment, unless or until something else happens.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
Microsoft-free zone - Using Linux Gnu-Debian