how to show all loop devices? losetup -a doesn't work

I've seen that my domU is only booting if I set "loop max_loop=64" in /etc/modules. The default is "max=8" right? I don't use more than 8 loop devices. So I want to know where they are. It's not possible to see it with losetup -a. The etch losetup doesn't has the -a option.

What does the "max_loop" set realy count, the mounted loop? And how can I find out why max_loop=8 is to smal and where are this loops I want to know.