Re: debian port of timidity doesn't work here

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I figured to use timidity to listen to some midi files and found out
> missing instruments make that impossible.  Would it be better to convert
> the midi files to another format and listen to them that way and if so
> which format and what tool does that conversion?  If midi files aren't
> possible to play on debian I'd like to know that too since I may be able
> to do it on my mac.

You need to download patchset, you have freepats in Debian, but it is
not complete. I recommend Gravis UltraSound patchset, download it from

http://www.anime.net/~goemon/timidity/goemon.tgz

Uncompress it to /usr/local/share/midi/. Move the file goemon.cfg to
/etc/timidity/. Than add this line to /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg:

source /etc/timidity/goemon.cfg

Also, you can use soundfonts, there are some sites that enable free
download.